Well the streaming war has been going on specially since the end of 2000. I watched an documentary which made me write about Netflix. From video rental to a streaming empire, Netflix has a share of our pocket. We saw HBO launched “HBO Series or HBO Original” almost at the end of the millennium. HBO Movie was dominating the cable channels before 2000. HBO Original movies as well as series were winning Emmy or even Oscar.
Then there were sitcoms and thrillers in different networks like Big Bang Theory, Grey’s Anatomy, Dexter, of course Breaking Bad -testing the download speed of our torrent along with searching the subtitle text. Oh, patience was the name of the game! Game of Thornes changed the way we perceived entertainment on TV.
Then, in one fine day, maybe in 2016, in our part of the world , I lheard Netflix is giving away a 1 month subscription for free. So, how I reacted? Ok, I used my email, opened many emails, borrowed many of my friends’ emails. Oh yes, who knew e-mail could be the key account of a business empire. Initially, as far as I recall, it was near $5 for 1 month.
So let’s cut to the chase, why do I love Netflix, yes, “So much”. Apart from, it reduced my DVD rental cost and slashing commute time, I can think of the following:
1. I love the landing and opening logo with sound of thud and bang.
2. It has almost perfect recommendation engine i.e. 98% match, 96% match. Though I watched a few with 60% match, and it paid off. e.g. I’m Thinking of Ending Things.
3. It has produced twisted and brilliant productions like Black Mirror, Stranger Things, House on a Haunted Hill, one of the best ones.
4. It has produced the best vampire satire “Dracula”. The actor Claes Bang is simply outstanding.
5. It has all the uncut gems which we used to yearn for in our lifetime, Dark Desire, an excellent example.
6. The subtitle is amazing with so unheard emotions.
7. It made one of the best horrors and thrillers such as Oculus, Hush, Bird Box, Slasher Dahmer etc. to name a few.
8. So many adaptations of Stephen King, Edgar Alan Poe and upcoming writers.
9. Great place for Bengali, Indian, Mexican, Spanish series and movies. I can recall Shonar Pahar (Bengali), Sacred Game (Hindi), Money Heist(Spanish) etc.
10. It has made series watching and bonding with family again like satellite TV. It also takes you to your teenage years such as in Never Have I Ever.
Well, I consider myself fortunate witnessing a brand which is super genius in Innovation and Marketing. If Disney created an ingenious way for entertainment, Netflix has changed the way of consuming irresistible hours of watching entertainment.
Finally, I would like to thank Reed Hastings and Marc Randolph, the cofounder of Netflix . If someday, I would like to write about business strategy, you two definitely would be in my page.
Photo Courtesy: Netflix, IMDB, WordPress